What is the age recommendation for My First Spanish (MFS) stories?
My First Spanish stories are designed for use with infants, toddlers, preschoolers and lower elementary children. Our Book Collections include Picture Books and activities geared at developing young children’s language skills and helping them grow with important values such as, friendship, love, diversity, self-esteem, cooperation, empathy, and respect for other people and other cultures.
How do MFS Book Collections work for different ages and abilities?
Our Book Collections and activities match children’s developmental stages and are based on a mix of scientific research, child development, the best practices for teaching children around the world and over 30 years of experience in the field.
What if my child is already learning the Spanish language?
Our Book Collections will help your child practice and reinforce the vocabulary, structures and concepts acquired in classes while at the same time instill in them a love and respect for Spanish and other languages and important values that will help them grow as successful citizens of a more and more globalized world.
Why is reading important for babies and young children?
Reading brings benefits to both children and parents.
For parents snuggling up with their little ones and reading together a book is precious. Giving them that one-on-one attention stretches bonds and makes babies feel safe and loved.
Reading and sharing stories can also:
- help children get to know sounds, words and concepts
- boost their language and early literacy skills
- help children learn to value books and the stories they tell
- spark children’s imagination and creativity, and stimulate their curiosity
- help develop your children’s brain, the ability to focus, concentration, social skills and communication and socio-emotional skills
- give children information about the world, their own culture and other cultures
- help build strong relationships between parents and their children
May readings in another language harm children’s development of their mother tongue?
No, on the contrary it may strengthen children’s awareness and development of their mother tongue. Whether you are raising your child to be bilingual or not reading time should be one of the most important things in a young child’s daily routine.
You can read, sing and tell stories with your child in whatever language you feel most comfortable speaking. If you are raising your child to be bilingual, to be able to communicate with his/her grandparents or any other members of the family or the community then reading to your child in that language is a must. Your child not only will benefit from the numerous advantages of reading but also of the gift of an additional language early in life.
At what age can a child start learning an additional language?
No child is too young to start learning an additional language. In fact research shows that the sooner they are exposed to a new language the better.
Very young learners acquire an additional language through hearing and experiencing lots of the target language, very much in the same way they acquire their mother tongue. They learn through play and repetition of words and phrases, without noticing it, in a fun and natural way. This is why our products are designed for children from the time they are born.
Why is early language learning important?
Research indicates that the foundations for thinking, language acquisition, attitudes, aptitudes, and other characteristics are laid down during the first three years of life. Consequently, by exposing children to additional languages early in life we are using a child’s natural ability to learn. We are providing them with an opportunity to acquire a second or third language when it is as easy as learning the first during their most vital years.
Scientists suggest that when it comes to ease of learning and proficiency in a foreign language, earlier is better. There is a “window of opportunity” for easily acquiring additional languages from the moment a child is born.
What if I don’t speak Spanish?
Our Book Collections come in digital format with picture books read aloud for facilitating the correct pronunciation of the language. In addition there are online activities that help children practice the vocabulary and concepts in a fun and natural way.
What are the benefits of MFS Book Collections?
- Reading fosters a love for books and reading.
- Children have the opportunity to get in touch with Spanish through simple readings, songs and fun activities, which makes it easier for them to communicate with other people and especially with other members of the family.
- The readings aloud facilitate the acquisition and practice of pronunciation.
- The books help children develop their language skills and grow with important values such as, friendship, love, diversity, self-esteem, cooperation, empathy, and respect for other people and other cultures.
- The digital format facilitates the availability of resources at any time and in any place.
- Books encourage and facilitate the natural absorption of the Spanish language through play, exploration and repetition.